Quick post, I swear. Sorry to have been going on a bit in the last few.
I can remember my grandfather telling me a riddle over dinner one night that went something along these lines.
"As I was walking to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives, and each wife had seven cats, and each cat had seven kits. Kits, cats, wives, how many are going to St. Ives?"
What I did, of course, was to add up all everyone and then blurt out some huge number, when the answer is actually one, since "I" am the only one going to St. Ives.
If we tweaked this riddle a bit and assumed that we saw a Cambodian man on his motorbike outside our bus window who was also going to Phnom Penh, we would say that he had seven wives (no polygamy here, but just bear with me) and that each wife had seven baskets and each basket had seven pigs (large ones). And the question would be - assuming that he is also going to Phnom Penh - how many motorbikes are going to Phnom Penh?
The answer, like the previous question, would be one.
I wish I had had my camera so that I could have grabbed a picture of these people that we passed in our grimy bus. From the dust up ahead, a stack of chairs would seem to be floating down the road to Phnom Penh, but as we passed, there would be a little man (often with another person with him) tucked underneath these towering walls of furniture/animals on a motorbike! (Their balance is truly incredible).
All for now, I'm blogged out for a bit...couldn't sleep this morning so I decided to do a few. Hope everyone is doing great. Miss everyone very much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment